Incidents

Phenol Skin Exposure

  • Post date: August 8, 2016
    Updated/commented date: August 8, 2016
    Description:
    While performing a phenol/chloroform DNA extraction in a chemical fume hood, the researcher removed a microcentrifuge tube from the hood and began “flicking” or gently tapping on it. The lid popped open and a small amount (about 5 drops) of phenol/chloroform splashed onto researcher’s chest /neck area. Researcher was wearing gloves and safety glasses, but no lab coat at time of incident.

Small Fire on Bench

  • Post date: August 8, 2016
    Updated/commented date: August 8, 2016
    Description:
    Graduate student was working late (11 PM) at night on a Sunday. The student was performing standard microbiological technique wearing appropriate PPE (gloves, safety glasses, flame resistant lab coat) inoculating a microorganism (RG1-BL1) on petri dishes containing culture media. The student was utilizing a sterile technique by means of a gas burner, 100% ethanol and a metal loop to inoculate cultures. According to the student statement, the “jar” containing ~30 mL of 100% ethanol somehow shattered producing a small fire that spread on the bench. The student reacted quickly turning off the gas source, removing materials (petri dishes) and reaching for the fire blanket which the student used to smothered the fire. Fire alarm was not triggered and the student turned on the emergency exhaust on the fume hoods closest to the bench to eliminate the smoke generated during the fire. The student was not injured.

Animal/Mouse Bite

  • Post date: August 1, 2016
    Updated/commented date: September 5, 2016
    Description:
    On May 21, 2015 a research assistant was restraining a mouse for the purpose of subcutaneously injecting a medication. They were wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), including gloves on both hands. However, one particular mouse turned its head during the restraint and bit the middle finger of his left hand.