Save money and time using a chemical inventory
There are many benefits of a chemical inventory for example, but not limited to:
- Saving money and space by reducing or completely eliminating unnecessary purchases
- Saving time by maintaining stock at an appropriate level (Don't run out, but don't buy too much)
- Increasing efficiency by making chemicals easy to locate
- Knowing when to remove old or expired chemicals
- Identifying chemicals with specific shelf life and specific storage requirements
- Get your lab up and running again quickly after an emergency. By helping emergency response personnel, including the Fire Department, make crucial decisions about your lab based on the chemical information. This will minimize delays in the Fire Departments response to serious spills or fires, thus minimizing damage and lost research.
Free Technology to Help with your Chemical Inventory
MIT has purchased a chemical inventory system, CISPro Cloud to help you with your chemical inventory.
If You Have An Existing Inventory
Contact the EHS Office to discuss options for moving your existing inventory to a central inventory system. Start by organizing your existing inventory into the Chemical Inventory Spreadsheet Template format.
CISPro Key Features
- Easy to use data entry
- Entry by CAS, Product Number, Chemical Name or Chemical Structure (.MOL)
- Has 15,000 classified chemicals already in the system allowing for Auto fill in other required fields. 9.3 million total products in the system.
- Bulk updating of chemicals when a lab moves
- Sharing of chemicals if appropriate, to keep you doing your research instead of placing orders and waiting for shipments or cost of removing unused chemicals
- Many search options including by hazard
- Authorization facilitated system
- Easy access to SDS and other safety information
- Access to compatibility and storage information
- Ability to search by chemical structure
- Information on possible substitutions
- Redundancy in data security
- Ability to retrieve deleted or historical inventory
- Local tech support
- Ability for multiple users to use the system simultaneously
Keep MIT Green and in Regulatory Compliance
Help keep MIT green and in compliance with regulatory requirements. With a chemical inventory, less over purchasing will lead to less chemical waste. This will save MIT and your lab money as well as keep MIT as a leader in environmental stewardship.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has published chemicals security rules on December 28, 2006 to prevent potential misuse of certain chemicals. There are currently 344 Chemicals of Interest listed in the draft version of Appendix A many of which are used at MIT.
All facilities that have any of these chemicals in quantities greater that the Screening Threshold Quantity must complete a “Top-Screen”, which will be used to categorize these facilities into one of four tiers, with Tier I as the highest risk tier.
What Do You Need To Know To Get Started Using CISPro Cloud
Working with the EHS office and your Department EHS Coordinator, you will get trained on how to use CISPro and decide the best implementation strategy for your lab. Contact your EHS Coordinator to schedule a training session.