MIT's Environment, Health, and Safety Office (EHS Office) is responsible for:
- overseeing operational EHS management at MIT;
- providing EHS services to departments, laboratories and centers (DLCs);
- supporting MIT's commitment to EHS performance beyond compliance;
- and delivering services that demonstrate MIT's commitment to EHS stewardship.
These services relate to a wide range of areas - from environmental sustainability and occupational safety to chemical, radiation, and biological controls - that support the Institute's accountability for excellent EHS performance, as well as for legal compliance.
The work of the office includes:
- the deployment of resources that reduce the environmental impact of MIT's work, operations, and facilities,
- ensuring the health and safety of our community members and neighbors. EHS works in close partnership with MIT Medical and Occupational Health and Safety to accomplish these objectives.
All of these activities are informed by our commitment to provide the responsive service and critical support needed to make MIT a safe, healthy, and environmentally responsible place to live, work, and study.
Protecting people and the environment so MIT can improve the world.
We provide expertise, service, support, and leadership in health, safety, environmental stewardship, and sustainability while fostering a strong, innovative safety culture within the entire MIT community.
We continually strives to be an essential, innovative, and valuable collaborator within the greater MIT community. To accomplish this, we will:
- Partner with the entire MIT community to maintain a safe, healthy, and environmentally sustainable place to learn, work, live, and play
- Enable a healthy safety culture that empowers community members to identify, assess, and minimize risk while at MIT and beyond
- Develop and communicate EHS solutions that are practical, efficient, sustainable, and adaptable
- Continually improve to meet new challenges, emerging technologies, and trends with agility, creativity, and innovation
- Support research resiliency, emergency preparedness/response, and business continuity
- Foster the professional development of a dedicated staff capable of drawing upon a diverse skill set
- Be a recognized leader in EHS excellence while reaching beyond compliance and regulatory responsibilities
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic
- Meet the EHS needs of the MIT community
- Care about and work toward the betterment of our whole community
- Be passionate about what we do
- Take a hands-on approach
- Adhere to high ethical standards
- Be accountable, reliable, and transparent
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Champion environmental stewardship and sustainability
- Practice fiscal responsibility
- Seek first to understand
- Exhibit leadership
- Strive to increase technical expertise and professional development
- Look to continually learn, improve, and advance EHS practices at MIT and beyond
- Anticipate the future needs of our community
- Work as a team within our office and community
- Provide our community with the tools and capability to work safely
- Practice active listening and effective communication
- Be approachable
- Act with humility
- Seek novel solutions to challenges in partnership with the Institute
- Be adaptable and agile
- Develop solutions that are environmentally sustainable and advance best practices
- Look for opportunities for applied/operational research